Sunday, September 28, 2014

The Mystery Man

As I set out this week to downtown OKC, I was expecting to have my usual encounters with people and to learn more about their lives. But this week was a much different story. 

As I was walking around looking for someone to pass out a sandwich to, I couldn't help but be drawn in by the man sitting on the street corner. So naturally, being the outgoing person I am I approached him and started talking to him and asking him questions.

I offered him a sandwich and he gladly accepted, but then realized it was a ham sandwich and said he couldn't eat it. When I asked if it was something to do with his religion as to why he couldn't eat it, he replied with "Not necessarily. While I sit out here I've had time to think about many different religions, and I just don't think I should eat a pig." 

As the conversation progressed I asked him if I could snap a picture of him for my blog and he quickly, but politely, refused. He told me that he doesn't think we should have cameras because if God really wanted up to remember something he would keep it in our hearts and minds. And he didn't want a picture out and about of him because he said it could leave the story up to the viewer and he doesn't want that.

After we spoke some more about how "the japanese tourists are taking over the world with cameras," and he explained more and more about why he hated photographs, he asked if I thought he was crazy and I quickly replied with no. And told him he has very valid points.

And as I thought about it more and more I knew he made a great point. Every picture that's taken is left up to the disgression  of the viewer to draw their own conclusion of the subject. And I think this is what this blog is all about. Teaching people how to not judge a book by its cover, and showing them that there is always MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE.

No comments:

Post a Comment